Frequently Asked Questions

The following questions have been frequently asked about the Taxpayer Advisory Panel, the role of TAP members, and the work that TAP does.

What is the Federal Advisory Committee Act?

The Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA) is the legal source that defines how federal advisory committees operate. The law governs activities related to federal advisory boards. To obtain more information on FACA please see Committee Management Secretariat on the following website:

Who can attend meetings?

Meetings are open to the general public as described by FACA. Meeting notices are published in The Federal Register at

What kind of experience is needed to become a member?

TAP includes members from all segments of the population with varying backgrounds and experiences; they represent the view of the average American taxpayer. There is no specialized tax experience required to serve on the TAP; you will be provided the information needed to effectively contribute to the panel. This is an excellent opportunity to have a role in improving taxpayers’ experience with IRS. As you’re considering member application, please keep in mind that tax expertise is not a requirement for panel membership. Citizens without tax expertise are encouraged to apply.

What kind of issues will panel members work on?

In partnership with the IRS, the panel focuses on ways to improve IRS responsiveness to taxpayer needs and the quality of taxpayer service. The panel provides an effective forum for direct citizen input into IRS programs and procedures. Information on active issues and TAP committees, please refer to the Our Work page.

How many panel members will be chosen from each state?

To the extent possible, TAP membership will include at least one representative from each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, International U.S. taxpayers working and living abroad, and Puerto Rico. TAP membership is based on the number of Taxpayer Advocate Service Local Taxpayer Advocates (currently 74).

How long is the term for panel members?

Members are asked to serve a three-year appointment.

How many volunteer hours are required each year?

Members should expect to volunteer 200 to 300 hours per year on panel activities, including conference calls, outreach activities and face-to-face meetings.

Will I be expected to travel?

Yes, panel members are expected to travel two or three times each year to attend committee meetings and outreach events. The majority of day-to-day communication is conducted through email and phone.

Can current IRS employees serve on the panel?

No, current IRS and Treasury employees are not eligible to serve as panel members. Former employees must be separated from the IRS or Treasury for at least three years to be considered for membership. The goal of the panel is to provide an independent perspective to issues facing the Internal Revenue Service and taxpaying public and having IRS or Treasury employees serve could be construed as a conflict of interest.

When I travel, who will pay for travel related expenses?

Authorized panel-related travel expenses are reimbursed by the Taxpayer Advocacy Panel according to Federal Government Regulations.

Is there a membership position available for individuals living abroad?

Yes, TAP includes at least one member to represent international taxpayers. For these purposes, “international taxpayers” are broadly defined to include U.S. citizens working, living, or doing business abroad or in a U.S. territory.

How do I become a panel member?

Interested individuals may submit an application during open recruitment periods. A notice will appear in the Federal Register and on this website to announce the open recruitment period dates each year. More information about becoming a member.